Ways to Obtain Turkish Citizenship by Buying a Property in Turkey for Foreigners
How to obtain Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property in Turkey? Are there conditions that must be met in the property being owned? Questions foreigners wishing to own real estate in Turkey wait an answer for, noting that real estate investment in Turkey is very attractive; It has many advantages for the owner and the investor.
- How to obtain Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property in Turkey?
- Criteria for obtaining Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property
- Documents required to obtain Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property
- Is Turkish citizenship obtained once the conditions are met?
How to obtain Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property in Turkey?
In 2018, the Official Gazette of Turkey published a decision to amend some conditions of the naturalization law in return for owning a commercial or residential property, or by investing and depositing in a Turkish bank.
Accordingly, as a foreign applicant wishing to obtain Turkish citizenship, it has become easy to achieve this through the following cases:
- Purchasing a property or several properties with a total value of more than 400,000 US dollars and keeping the ownership without selling for a period of 3 years. However, you are free to live in it or rent it, and you can sell it after the expiry of the period specified above. This however contrasts with the value specified in the old Turkish naturalization law, which stipulated the need to purchase real estate worth more than one million US dollars.
- Amendments to the Turkish Nationality Law included the case of depositing in a Turkish bank. Consequently, in order to obtain Turkish citizenship, you must deposit an amount of 500,000 US Dollars, in contrast to the high value in the old list, which was estimated at 3 million dollars.
- As for the fixed financial value of the investment, it was reduced to 500,000 US dollars, after it was two million US dollars.
- Entrepreneurs or owners of various projects can now employ 50 Turkish citizens to get the right of naturalization in Turkey; After they had to offer 100 job opportunities for 100 Turkish employees in the previous law.
Criteria for obtaining Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property
There are some conditions that must be met for the property owner to be entitled to obtain Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property in Turkey, and we will mention the most important of them as follows:
- Writing an explanatory pledge in the real estate registry department not to sell the property before the expiry of 3 years, which is the period specified and concluded in the pledge document with the title deed.
- Registering the buyer’s address within the Turkish borders, and it is not imperative that it be registered in the same property you own, as it can be registered in any other property.
- Buying real estate from a Turkish person who is not married to a foreigner or vice versa, according to new legal amendments to the Turkish Nationality Law, issued in the year 2021. Real estate units can also be purchased through Turkish real estate companies, if they are not owned by one of the partners of the buyer’s original nationality.
- Transferring the value of the property from the buyer’s country to a bank account in a Turkish bank in the name of the buyer himself or herself, then exchanging the amount from foreign currency to the Turkish lira according to the official exchange rate from the Central Bank of Turkey.
- Paying the price of the property through a bank transfer to the seller’s account in Turkish lira. This is according to new amendments that included an executive regulation to amend the law on granting Turkish citizenship by investment, which was recently issued in 2022.
- Issuance of the title deed with full ownership and receiving it through the construction company selling the new property; That is, you have a property title deed in your name, and pay its full value, even if it is not fully built.
Documents required to obtain Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property
- The original (Tapu) title deed; Showing a property title deed with a value more than $250,000.
- The real estate appraisal report with this value (more than 250,000 US dollars) issued by an accredited real estate appraisal body in Turkey.
- Title deed document.
- Power of attorney to the Turkish lawyer responsible for submitting and following up the Turkish citizenship file. The agency may include the buyer’s husband or wife.
- The original payment and receipts from the bank through which the value of the property was transferred.
- A document that proves the property owner’s address in his country of origin, such as electricity and water bills.
- A passport translated into Turkish and certified by a Turkish notary (Noter).
- The application file of Turkish citizenship by investment can include the wife and children under the age of 18. This requires that certified translations of passports and birth certificates be attached.
Preparing the file for obtaining Turkish citizenship by investment requires accuracy and experience through a specialized Turkish lawyer, and this is what we at Greater Turkey provide you with when buying a property in one of our unique real estate projects.
Is Turkish citizenship obtained once the conditions are met?
After completing all the required papers and documents, the citizenship file is submitted to the Office of Investors Affairs in the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey, through pre-selected centers by the Turkish government, and the investor is issued an immediate residence known as the investor’s residence permit, pending the completion of the study of his file and a decision on granting him or her citizenship.
Of course, the Turkish government is keen to carefully review the file of every foreign investor who applies for Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property.
If the documents are properly completed and certified in his country of origin and in Turkey according to the system, and the result of studying the application is positive, then it is expected that within a period of up to 100 days, a decision of approval and naturalization will be issued for the investor and his family members included in his file from the Presidency of the Republic.
Then he or she can receive Turkish identity cards, and issue Turkish passports with a validity period of up to 10 years.
In nutshell, we hope that we have clarified all the details related to the issue of Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property, and if you have any inquiries or wish to see the best opportunities and properties suitable for Turkish citizenship, do not hesitate to contact us, and the Greater Turkey team will be happy to serve you to the fullest, before during and after the purchase of the property.
Edited by: Greater Turkey©